It’s not to late to make a few last minute gifts this Christmas. Phew! That’s a relief as I still have six to make!!
This simple calendar gift will be cherished for the entire year and is suitable for making gifts for men as well as women, something I often struggle with. Handmade gifts tend to be ‘pretty’ and very feminine but this is a handmade gift idea that will be treasured by the men in your life too.
It’s simple to make and won’t take several hours that you would rather be spending watching Christmas movies and supping mulled wine (or finishing the baking, food prep, present wrapping or whatever it is you still have to do in the three short days before Christmas! Don’t think about it, it’ll be fine, won’t it?!?).
Anyhoo here’s the tutorial and a few examples I have made.
How to make a handmade calendar gift
You will need:
- Simply Creative Calendar Tabs
- Paper of your choice
- Scoreboard / cutting board or craft knife and ruler
- Foam tape
- Dies and die cutting machine – if you choose to embellish in this way but it’s not essential
- Embellishments of choice
- Cut your 12×12 paper into two so that you have two 6×12 inch pieces. Score at the 6 inch mark (or fold in half whichever you find easiest).
- Place adhesive on one half of one of the pieces of card and fix one square of the second piece on top. You will then have a card with three equal sections.
3. Fold each of the creases well and embellish the first section to form the front of your easel card. Here I have matted and layered ready for the focal point to be added.
4. Matt and layer the calendar tab too. I cut a rectangle measuring 6cm by 8.5cm and another 6.5cm by 9cm. You will need to fix this to the card using foam pads to form the easel stopper.
5. Embellish the card as you wish. On this version I add a frame with some of the decorative paper behind it.
I also made two masculine calendar cards, one with a sporty theme and one for a crafty wood carver. I stamped the ‘Measure Twice, Cut Once’ sentiment with my Dovecraft wooden alphabet stamps.
I made another version using the Dovecraft Bee Happy collection and added a few more embellishments to this one.
I also made calendar cards with the brand new First Edition paper pads – Beyond the Shore and Wanderlust. These will launch on Create & Craft TV in the new year in 12×12 format at a great price. On the Wanderlust card I added a shaker frame to the front with Dovecraft Time to Sparkle sequins inside, and I die cut from the front panel and added fussy cut images on the Beyond the Shore version.
Finally, here’s a sneak peek of one I made for an upcoming Create & Craft show. I can’t wait to launch this collection so watch this space for more.
That’s me signing off for Christmas now. I hope you get everything done and made you want to and really enjoy the festive season. I’ll still be posting to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram but with regards to the blog, I’ll see you on the other side!